Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Twits Twitter...

This is probably going to be short and sweet. Let me start by saying... "I DON'T GET THIS TWITTER THING!" I guess my big question is "Why?".
Why do people feel the need to share what they are eating for lunch? Why do people feel the need to tell you they are driving on US RTE 39? Why do people feel they need to tell you that they are tired and headed to bed? Do they actually believe people care? Do they actually think their lives are so interesting that they must share the most trivial, dare I say idiotic, things with others?

And this next "why" really gets me.

Why are there people out there actually subscribing to this!? If you have enough time through the day to pull out your blackberry and follow some one as they take out their trash, then you are the real TWIT here. I firmly believe the if you look up the word "twittering" in the dictionary it will say... "the action of twits." Folks have we become so freakishly voyeuristic in this society that we don't feel complete if we can't see (at least electronically) that "Jimmy's taking a nap"? Are our lives that boring and our time that meaningless? Who knew That Jim Carrey movie, where his life was being watched by the outside world, would be prophetic? And quit saying the name of the movie I don't want to know...

We have bought into the lunacy that says we must have "real-time reality". I can't stand reality shows on TV. Look "John and Kate plus 8" is not reality! The only people who have 8 kids anymore are Jedediah and Sarah down on the Amish farm. Oh, and if you lock up 10 to 12 idiots with the morals of a baboon in a house for 3 months... that's not reality... it's depravity. I hate reality shows... with the exception of "The Deadliest Catch"!!! Now that is "must see TV". AMEN!

Do you remember a time just not too long ago when people were afraid of "Big Brother" (the government, not the TV show) watching from satellites hundreds of miles away? Why then are we posting our lives for everyone to see on something with a sissy name like Twitter? You just saved the gov't billions of dollars because they no longer need to build and blast the satellites, now all they need is a twitter acct.

And don't even get me started on Texting!

Blessings!

2 comments:

  1. That's it big guy! Just jump right in both hands and feet...

    I follow another pastor named Matt at http://www.thechurchofnopeople.com/ who felt the same way and now is a Twit. Another wave my friend...another wave.

    Check out this recent Time Magazine article:
    http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1895463,00.html

    I'm thinking our congregation would embrace this concept...bwahahahahahaha (sorry).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about Twitter but I reluctantly started Facebook when some friends invited me. I was surprised to see my distant brother on it, my nieces and nephews, and friends I hadn't seen in a long time. When their smiling faces are posted next to their comments, it is almost like face to face conversation. It drains my time, though. We do tend to fritter away hours that could be more productive.

    ReplyDelete