Monday, March 15, 2010

This one made my top five...

Have you ever had something happen to you and you didn't know whether to laugh or cry? Let me tell you about one of the weirdest things that has happened in a while.

The other day I was sitting in my office minding my own business... I'm sure doing something spiritual. When in walked a man that lives in fairly close proximity to the church. I've met this fellow before and even invited him to church a few years ago right after they moved to town. Town... our town is the typical little rural community you would find all over the south. I affectionately call it "Mayberry"... but I digress.

My secretary met him at the door and I knew who it was as soon as I heard his voice.

Me: Hey, come in. Good to see you!

Him: Hello Pastor, I hope I'm not bothering you?

Me: Don't be silly, have a seat and tell me how I can help you.

It was at this point that he explained to me that he had joined a "civic" organization about six months ago and recently they had elected him as "chaplain". I have to admit to you here that I'm not sure this man has a relationship with Christ. He claims to be Catholic... but hasn't been to the church in several years. Funny how we align ourselves with whatever church our parents or grandparents attended even though we may never darken the door.

Me: Chaplain! Wow. That's quite an honor.

Him: Well, uhh, yeah... but I have a little problem.

Me: Oh? (hoping God has had a chance to speak to his heart and he realized his need for Christ)

Him: Yeah, one of my duties is to say an "invocation prayer" to open every meeting of this "civic" organization.

Me: Okay great, how can I help?

Him: Well, I was wondering if you had a book of prayers that I could borrow and i would just copy one out of there?

This is when I explained to him that I didn't have a "book" of set prayers, but that prayer was really nothing more than a conversation with God. I told him that when I pray I talk to God just like I was talking to him. My purpose was to get around to the "relationship with God thing". But he didn't let me finish...

Him: Do you think you could write one for me? It's been a while since I've prayed.

Me: Well, I could write you one but it wouldn't have near the meaning as it would if it came from you. But you really need to get something straight fir...

Him: Well, could you at least write some talking points down for me?

Me: I can, but it would help to know what kind of organization we are talking about. If its the VFW then I would begin by thanking God for all that have served our country and pray for protection for those currently serving.

Him: No... its nothing like that.

Me: Well why don't you tell me what kind of club we are talking about?

It was at this point that the conversation took on an even more serious tone. He looked me square in the eye and said...

Him: Well preacher, I'm going to be very honest with you... its "THE KLAN".

Me: (a flush feeling running straight through me at this point) THE KLAN! Seriously!

It was at this point that I wanted to tell him we were done and it was time for him to leave! I was furious at this point. After all, this guy wants me to write him a prayer to a Savior he doesn't even know and if Jesus were still walking this earth today He wouldn't be allowed to join the club.

But God had a different idea. God spoke to my heart and said, " This is an opportunity". I guess opportunities can come in many forms?

So yeah, I wrote the prayer. I don't think he will use it though. Its filled with things like "help us to love our fellow man" and "help us to understand your love". But maybe God can use it to speak to someones heart?

2 comments:

  1. Great story! Since you told this Sunday night, I've shared it with other several people. Those who know you can just picture your face when he told you he was with the Klan! I'm glad you blogged it.

    Actually...I'm glad you finally posted again. And to think I just went and busted you out about that over on Tony C Today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You handled that nicely. Until you mentioned that the "civic" organization was the Klan, I was wondering why he didn't simply look in a Catholic Prayer Book.
    I am Catholic, and I would have told him instances where the Klan did horrid things to Catholic families so that he may gain some empathy.
    I wonder if "they" know he is Catholic. Although, really, how Catholic can he be if he needs to knock on a pastor's door in order to lead a simple prayer.

    ReplyDelete