Wednesday, September 2, 2009

He Who Laughs Lasts...

Okay, for my many, many followers (4 to be exact)... I know it has been about a month since my last post. The fact is I just didn't have anything to say (stop it... I hear what you are thinking). But today I wish to share with you a positive thought.

In this time of turmoil in our country. A time when we have been as unsure about the future direction of our nation. The overwhelming shadow of discouragement can set in on our personal lives as well as our public lives. The wave of discouragement is unrelenting my friend, "it's like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli..." Seinfeld fans will get that... all others just hang in there. My encouragement for you today is... give up.

Yes, give up!

Quit trying to find person satisfaction in the things that bring you pleasure. Sounds crazy I know. Goes against everything society has taught us. But the one thing I know is that true satisfaction doesn't come from things that bring me pleasure. When you get on a roller coaster and start that slow mechanical climb to the top of the first hill, everything is great! The anticipation of what is to come makes you forget about everything (well, except maybe that footlong chili dog with cheese extra onions and a large coke you had while waiting in line). But inevitably... about 90 seconds later... you pull back into the "cattle gates" and you think "aaawww that's it?" That is the way you feel when you depend on pleasures for satisfaction. You have to run to the next one before that sinking feeling of reality hits again.

You also need to quit trying to satisfaction in people/relationships. Over the last several months I have had bouts with discouragement. Depression? Naw I don't think it came to that... I never wanted to cocoon away and dry up. But there have been times that I've wanted to throw in the towel. My job is very rewarding at times and very disappointing too. I tell people I get to see the best in people and the worst in people... sometimes all in the same day! But I've had to be reminded that the satisfaction I get from doing my job should not be based on people. People will let you down. They will stab you in the back with one hand while patting you on the back with the other. They will lie to you, gossip about you, and dump on you... and that's just the christians!HA

No... lasting satisfaction does not come from the outside. It comes from within. Satisfaction is delivered direct mail from the throne of Heaven to the heart of man (and woman). So we have to give up so God can put in.

Blessings!

2 comments:

  1. How true! When I strive and try hard to make things better on my own...flop! When I look for satisfaction in the approval of others...flop!

    Good stuff Heavy D. We just need more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good. Not that you're looking for the approval of others, but I would approve if you wrote some more!

    ReplyDelete